11 April 2010

Apologies, (maybe empty) promises, and the BWWC

It's getting to be that time of the semester when I see how many weeks I have left before seminar papers are due and panic a little. For example, I have a ten-page gender essay due Thursday and only a vague idea of a thesis. So.

I also have a folder fucking bursting with recent things about sexism and geek culture (read part one here), which I've been adding to almost every day. Which is awesome, because it means I have lots to choose from, but also that it's going to take forever to sift through it. Especially if I keep adding to it, which I probably will, since my Google Reader has about twenty or so geeky blogs and comics on it. So, I ask patience and promise that I will begin writing that post this week, and hopefully will have another post about Victorian sex (!) up by the end of the week. I hate people who write posts like this, but if I don't promise you publicly, I'll disappear for a month with only lingering guilt.

In other, more positive sci fi news, I just got Chicks Dig Time Lords in the mail, which I'm enjoying so much right now. I'll be writing a review for my Doctor Who readers.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I just attended the 18th and 19th Century British Women Writers Conference to present my paper on Jane Austen's Mansfield Park and the Oriental woman's haunting of the novel. It went really well! I got all the first questions, which all started with how awesome I am, and some really great comments and suggestions for furthering the project. So yay!

Also, my blog got outed to some current professors. Welcome, ladies!

And it's always great when women you admire so very much seem to be talking about you and telling good things about you, which was what I kept hearing, including a humorous "I heard you had strong opinions" after a comment I made. But I'm all a-glow, and feel incredibly lucky to have so many smart, wonderful, and supportive women counted among my friends and mentors.

So, I'm done gushing. Go about your regular business.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

"But I'm all a-glow, and feel incredibly lucky to have be [sic] of so many smart, wonderful, and supportive women counted among my friends and mentors." Absolutely and right back atcha.

Courtney said...

Thanks for immortalizing my poor editing skills. :)